CUBE CSS documentation

Hey pals, just a quick on: I’ve added a load of documentation for CUBE CSS now, so if you wanted to get into more detail about it, here it is https://cube.fyi

cube

3 Likes

This is what happens when I take a break from social media - a whole new CSS methodology turns up!

Seriously though, this looks great. Turns out I’m basically doing a lot of this stuff anyway, as a natural part of trying to find the perfect combo of BEM, ITCSS, utility classes, and all sorts of other stuff. It’s really cool to see it written up into a defined methodology.

I’m just about to start on a new project where I’ve got pretty much free reign, so it’s a good chance to use it properly. I’ll even give the bracketed class names a go! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

They’re pretty controversial, but my god, they really do help!

2 Likes

I came across this sentence in the CUBE CSS documentation

Whether you like to author your CSS with Sass, Less, PostCSS, or even CSS-in-JS: the principles and methodology of CUBE CSS remain .

and I noticed that authoring CSS as just non processed CSS isn’t listed. Is writing straight up CSS just not a thing that serious front end developers do? I really like writing straight up CSS.

Yeh of course! That is implied by the CSS part :wink:

The point that sentence makes is that it really doesn’t matter how you do it.

1 Like

I missed getting in on this again too… why am I always late for the good stuff?

1 Like

There’s plenty to go on this thing yet, Todd!

1 Like

Not sure I’m quite there with CUBE yet. I’m on board with the principles, but my attempt at using it on this project feels a bit scrappy in places - mainly around which things I make utility classes and which are components.

I am completely sold on the brackets in class names though!

1 Like

I’m literally writing (as we speak) a tutorial which I hope will clear this up for you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looking forward to it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve definitely adopted using [ ] to break up class names :grin: and tried to make utility classes where I can but need to have a proper look into everything. Will probably need to go over my code and rejig some things about :joy:

1 Like

Once I finish the Eleventy From Scratch, I’ll look into it. I always buy something and then a day or two later you come out with a huge discount! :rofl:

Plus, I’m using what you teach through your course on a site I’m building for a restaurant. Chucking WordPress out the door and going with Eleventy.

1 Like