How do you create new taxonomies with Eleventy?

Hey everyone!

Over the last year, I’ve been trying to get into Static Site Generators as they are very well suited for a couple of projects I have in my mind. However, I’ve stumbled on the problem that I’m not “techy” enough to understand how to customize one to my needs. I am very good with HTML/CSS but not that much with imperative programming. And I’ve discovered that, from my perspective, SSGs are built “by power users for power users”. And that’s frustrating.

So far I’ve experimented a bit with Hugo and Eleventy. And I haven’t got very far. What I need is the ability to create custom taxonomies, allowing me to group posts in groups as I need them. For example, many SSGs put blog posts in the /posts section. I don’t like that. Instead, I need /blog, but also /articles and /resources and /directory and many other such taxonomies, each one with its specific parameters.

I like the simplicity of Eleventy and I would like to go on further with this product. But I don’t know how to get further. Can you point me to any resources that can explain the process for less technical people?

Thanks!

11ty lets you be completely flexible on that score - I use /articles/category-name/post-name as the format on my site.

I recommend this video if you haven’t already watched it. It’s a good starting point, and covers quite a bit pretty quickly. I ported my site from plain html to a basic 11ty version after about 10 minute of it

2 Likes

I think the /posts thing just uses tags - so you can show a page of any tag. Or you can also do straight-up custom taxonomies. Here’s a blog post on it:

1 Like

I will have a look at the resources you gave me. Thanks for helping me out!

1 Like

Yeh I use tags extensively for taxonomies. Each tag essentially creates a collection, too, so they’re really handy for querying certain types of content.

1 Like

In my mind tags are for further granulation inside a given category. Like differentiating between different topics for articles or blog posts.

You can add any data you like to content, so if that’s how you’re seeing it, using the data system to create a higher level of categories, which you then reference in your frontmatter could work.

I made this yesterday: https://educationlinks.fyi/

It’s still tags, but I have this higher level reference which acts as a source of truth: https://github.com/hankchizljaw/educationlinks.fyi/blob/master/src/_data/categories.js

It’s certainly not fool-proof, but it solidifies stuff up :slight_smile: