Show and tell thread

In case you didn’t know already, the backbone of Piccalilli is the weekly newsletter of the most creative stuff on the web, featuring CSS tricks, fancy websites and mind-blowing demos.

I’m always on the lookout for stuff to feature in it, so if you’ve made something cool, stick it in here!

I’ll babble on about my site which uses Eleventy. I’m in love with 11ty and never want to use anything (other than maybe GatsbyJS) ever again for websites.

3 Likes

Right there with you on Eleventy; been there/done that with Gatsby :slight_smile: and Hugo before them both.

2 Likes

Another Eleventy user here, for my business site pushtodev.com, running on Netlify. It’s a lovely combination to work with.

7 Likes

I love the link at the bottom to the WAVE accessibility checker. I’ve been looking for something like this for a long time.

2 Likes

I used icomoon for the svg icons.

Beautiful :heart_eyes_cat:
On mobile (ios) shows horizontal scrollbar, not dramatic but It should be an easy fix

1 Like

Thank you! Yes, good point - I’ll get that fixed. I always take so long agonising over my own sites, that with this one I’ve taken the approach of getting something online as quickly as possible and fixing issues as they arise.

Otherwise I’ll spend so long trying to get things perfect that I’ll never launch anything!

1 Like

I’ve been slowly building Sphere of Influence to geographically map historical & educational content from Twitter accounts about the Soviet Union.

Hosted as a static site on GitHub Pages & using Heroku for its tiny API, for the free cost and challenge.

I really wanted to break the idea that Static / JAMstack sites have to be heavily textual.

Had to put in a plugins system to prevent feature-creep affecting the core code, since that’s how I usually wreck my hobby projects :stuck_out_tongue:

You can read more on the About Page and the Contributors Guide of the project. Happy to answer any questions here.

3 Likes

This is awesome! Such a fascinating project!

1 Like

Because reading other people’s repos has been so helpful to me, I have updated and then made public a Gatsby-based repo and Hugo-based repo of my site (the code for which is in an Eleventy- and webpack-based repo). I also am in the very early stages of doing the same for Gridsome, but that will take quite a bit longer because it’s my first real try at a Gridsome-based repo. I wrote about all this in “Different modes for different code.”

1 Like

Some great insights here. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

As a little side project, I whipped this up during a lazy day. If you’re a Parks & Recreation fan or a Ron Swanson fan, I give to you, the Ron Swanson Quote Generator.

A guaranteed respite from the daily doldrums of coding and designing.

1 Like

This is great! Nicely done :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! I did another time waster (good for folks with kids) Find the Monsters it’s a little interactive as well.

1 Like