The water cooler

A place to hang out and chat with fellow Piccalilli community members.

So, how is everyone coping today? :grin: The news is wild, so personally am struggling to concentrate. I’ve played around with a Babylon JS scene a bit, (3D library), but other than that, I can’t stop raging on twitter about our useless governments. :rofl: I did learn one thing today from my playing around:

Babylon JS is quite old now, going back to before let and const were widely used, so a lot of their example code and set up code still uses var. I exported one scene that I have been playing around with, (they have a playground where you can prototype scenes) and I started working on it locally. The frame rates were absolute junk. I looked at the performance tab and saw crazy amounts of garbage collection happening…So tried a couple of obvious things, but then realized that a lot of my code was written using var declarations instead of const/let. I did a replace and BOOM. It now runs at 60fps and almost all the garbage collection has stopped. I did not realize how much better the browser can optimize your code if you use const/let!

Anyway, that is about the sum of my learning today. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Yeh my concentration levels recently have been super low… I’m hoping for a better week next week.

Same here. I’m managing one or two big tasks a day at the moment, but when I try and move on to the next thing I’m drastically losing momentum.

The only jobs I can summon up energy for right now are admin type things like moving all my project admin into Notion.

On the bright side, at least I might get some in-house stuff done.

I wrote an email last night to management telling them I was staying home no matter what. They responded with everyone needs to stay home so that’s a load off my mind.

1 Like

That’s good to hear. I’ve been getting real concerned about companies refusing to go remote who clearly can go remote. Our Prime Minister made it official advice to go remote today, which I hope will give people a kick in the butt.

1 Like

The Isle of Man has said that anyone arriving on the island now needs to quarantine themselves for 14 days, on pain of prosecution if they don’t.

Hopefully that’ll help slow things down over here. We have no confirmed cases on the island yet, but only 8 ICU beds, so things could get very bad very quickly.

1 Like

Gosh, that sounds wild!

Hopefully people will heed these warnings. Hope everyone here stays safe and if anyone needs a chat, please hit me up on Twitter because I am doing 1, 2, or more hours on Zoom meetings with people from everywhere.

1 Like

That’s super kind of you, Todd. You’re good people :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you kindly, Andy. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hello World, hope all are well?

1 Like

Howdy, Dave! It’s a glorious day here today, which is certainly helping morale :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is anyone in here working from home for the first time today, or in recent weeks?

:wave: First post.

Full time remote worker here of about 15 years (and home educator of 9). The last few weeks have felt like everything is new. This is not business as usual and not like normal remote working. Trying to stave off a feeling of burnout. I’m kinda concerned people will think this is what remote working is always like and then, when something approaching normal life resumes, they go back to their offices all like “man, working from home sucks!”

Loving the choice of forum - and Discourse in particular - over Slack for this community. I keep hoping forums will make a comeback. So happy day joining here; every cloud has a silver lining and all that. :smiley:

1 Like

Yeh forums are so much better than a walled-garden Slack IMO. I’m hoping this place works out great over time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi everyone, not sure if this is the right area to post.
I was just playing around with the “full-bleed” utility and ran into an issue. In the “full-bleed” container I have another container with grid-template-columns: repeat(auto-fit, minmax(300px, 1fr));. It doesn’t want to wrap/stack on small viewports. Seems the max-width is the culprit. Off the top of your head can anyone can think of a fix?

Can you create a simple reproduction in CodePen etc?

Sorry Andy, I put together the codepen example and it works… Fullbleed debug Have to see what’s up with my original. Thanks.

1 Like

No worries! So often, creating a reproduction helps you solve the issue :slight_smile: